Parenting has never been easy, adding to the complexity today is the relentless advancement of technology and social media. So introducing children to technology and helping them develop a healthy relationship with it, can feel like a daunting task. So we've gathered some tips to help you tackle this challenge head-on.
First up: forget about the old rules of limiting screen time. Dr Colleen Russo Johnson, a child development expert and Mum, suggests that it's more about the quality of content rather than the quantity. So, there's a shift to focus on using technology to supplement education in a fun and beneficial way. And let's face it...sometimes you just need to whip out the iPad for some quite time all round. No judgement here.
Thankfully, there are a growing amount of educational apps and websites focused on making learning exciting and fun. Here are our top picks (cause no parent has time to go through the 1.6 million apps on the App Store):
- Ted Ed: we love their animated videos on their YouTube channel covering everything from science to mythology to riddles. It's perfect for the whole family to enjoy together. Definitely worth checking out their website
- The Singapore National Library Board (NLB): offers plenty of children’s books and audiobooks free on its app.
- ABCmouse: an award-winning learning app that’s designed by experts for math, phonics, and reading
- Epic!: an e-book library with over 35,000 children's books. Best of all, it includes a read-to-me feature for little ones who are still beginner readers
- Homer Learn & Grow: a multifaceted learning app that supports math and reading, as well as social and emotional learning, creativity, and thinking skills; this is great for families with lots of kids since you can add up to four kid profiles on your account
- Toca Boca and Sago Mini: On the surface it may not look like it's educational but that's the beautify if them; both encourage young children to explore open-ended games without much instruction
So you've got the content. Tick. Now, how do you choose the right device for your kids? And if you have multiple kids, how do you avoid breaking the bank by buying multiple expensive devices?
That's where Circular comes to the rescue with their tech subscription service, offering access to the best gadgets through affordable monthly payments. With Circular, you can easily access smartphones, tablets, laptops and gaming devices for the whole family without breaking the bank. It's a safe and convenient way for your kids to explore technology and discover what they love. If you find it's not the right device for them, you can simply return at the end of your subscription period and try out another one.
Plus, having separate devices just for the kids means you can set boundaries and keep them safe. You have complete control over what they can access, ensuring they stay away from inappropriate sites and content.
Bonus points: you don't have to worry about expensive repairs. Every device subscription from Circular comes with free Damage Cover. It covers 90% of the cost of repairs for technical issues, display breaks, water damage, and heavy wear and tear. Peace of mind is priceless; especially given kids can be clumsy and unpredictable.
Children outgrow technology as quickly as they outgrow shoes; so making the shift from owning devices to subscribing to them makes sense. Circular subscriptions also enable all families to provide the best technology possible in an easy and affordable way. You can choose to subscribe to devices for a time period that suits your family needs and budget, whether that’s three month, a year or more.
Don't let technology overwhelm you as a parent. Embrace it, and let Circular help you navigate the digital world with confidence and ease. You've got this.